Are you planning to purchase a new Solar PV module? But confused to choose from the different types of solar PV modules and what to purchase? Don’t worry! We are here to help you choose. Although it is tough to make a decision when there are many competing factors involved. But with the right information in hand, we can make better decisions.
Since everyone these days is well-known about the benefits of going solar, it is crucial to understand the different types of Solar Power Plant and what best suits you. Let’s understand the major types of Solar Power Plant.
Types of Solar Power Plant
There are basically three major types of Solar Power Plants; On-Grid, Off-Grid, and Hybrid. All these solar power systems are different from each other based on their features and specifications whereas all solar power plants function on the same principle.
If you are all set to switch to solar but you’re not sure what kind of solar power plant to get, then take a look over the types of solar power plants below and also tackle the advantages and disadvantages of each type of solar plant system.
Off-Grid Solar Power Plant
As the name suggests, this solar plant system is independent of utility grids and collects all the unused extra power in battery banks. It is usually installed in areas that have regular power outages or low sunlight. The battery banks offer backup power throughout such hours.
The availability of a solar inverter permits this system to convert DC (Direct Current) arriving from the batteries into AC (Alternating Current). AC is the standard form of electricity for anything that “plugs in” to utility power and is the appropriate current for regular household appliances.
Therefore, if you don’t have an electricity connection or a dependable grid and you want to store electricity, then an off-grid solar power plant is recommended for you.
Advantages of Off-grid Power Plant
- Independent from the power delivered by the utility company
- Economical substitute than extending grid in isolated areas
- A solution to frequent power cuts
- Purchase battery according to your requirement
Disadvantages of Off-grid Power Plant
- More costly than On-Grid systems as batteries are expensive to replace
- Batteries have limited life and need regular maintenance
- Needs more components as compared to On-Grid systems
On-Grid Solar Power Plant
This is the most popular Solar PV module primarily installed in industrial, residential areas that have consistent power supply from the utility grid. On-Grid systems generate power when the utility power grid is available.
It must connect to the utility grid to carry out its function. The On-Grid solar power plant will automatically send excess power to the grid when solar panels are overproducing. You will get credited later through the net metering system by the Indian Govt.
So, if you have a dependable grid but your electricity bills are high, then an on-grid solar power plant is recommended for you.
Advantages of On-grid Power Plant
- Economical Solar Power Plant, since it needs the least no of components for setup
- Fewer maintenance costs
- Exchange excess energy with the utility grid
- Decrease high tariff electricity bills
- Can be upgraded to a Hybrid Solar Power Plant
- Higher efficiency as compared to Off-Grid systems as it is grid-dependent
Disadvantages of On-grid Power Plant
- Does not contain a backup for electricity outage
- As it is dependent on the utility grid there is no power during an outage
Hybrid Solar Power Plant
This type of solar plant system is a combination of both on-grid and off-grid solar power plants where the system is connected to the grid and also contains a battery backup. It is installed in areas that cannot rely on their electricity providers and need a backup during unpredictable power cuts.
A hybrid solar power plant offers you both the features of an on-grid solar system as well as the on-grid solar system. If you want to store power along with the export facility, the hybrid solar system is best suited for you.
Advantages of Hybrid Power Plant
- Removes the probability of having no power
- Additional energy is exchanged with the utility company
- Battery setup is on the basis of your requirements
Disadvantages of Hybrid Power Plant
- More costly than on-grid Solar power plants.
- Batteries require regular maintenance as they have a limited life
There’s no particular answer to which solar panels are the best. It completely depends on a variety of factors like your budget, how much electricity you would like to generate, the space required to install the system, etc.
With various solar manufacturing companies available in India, you must choose a well-known solar system company such as Insolation Energy to install the best suited high-efficiency solar module for you. Insolation Energy is one of the best solar companies in India that will help you to install the solar panels that suit your specific goals, be it financial, energy-related, aesthetically driven, or a combination of them all.